Sunday, March 24, 2013

Eagles Top Chiefs 5-4

Trevor Cameron scored a hat-trick while Nic Pierog and Michael Stenerson also found the back of the net as the Surrey Eagles battled to a 5-4 win over the Chilliwack Chiefs in Game 2 of the Mainland Division Final on Saturday night at the South Surrey Arena. With the win, the Birds now have a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five series.

Cameron had a chance to open the scoring just a few minutes into the first when he was sprung in on a breakaway, but the Mission native lost the handle at the last minute and never got a shot away. Cameron wouldn't be denied though as he tallied his first of the game a few moments later after Adam Tambellini found him in the slot with a nice pass off the half-boards, and Cameron made a smooth deke around Mitch Gillam to give Surrey the lead.

The Chiefs equalized in the second when Ryan Donohoe was able to score shorthanded, but Surrey retook the lead later in the period on the power play after Cameron knocked home the rebound of a Devon Toews point shot at the side of the net for his second of the evening. Chilliwack rallied in the late stages of the stanza to tie the game and eventually take the lead. First, Austin Plevy fired a shot past Michael Santaguida to even the score, and then Donohoe picked up his second goal of the game with less than two minutes left in the period to out the Chiefs ahead after 40 minutes.

The third period was full of frantic action as the two teams battled hard for the victory. Cameron netted his third of the game with a great individual effort that saw him out-work three Chiefs players to bring the puck up the ice before beating Gillam with a shot from the slot. Pierog gave the Birds a 4-3 lead when he shovelled the puck into the net after a goal-mouth scramble, and Stenerson added what would prove to be the game winner, completing a nice two-on-one passing play with Tambellini. The Chiefs pulled the goalie in the late stages and found a goal as Spencer Graboski beat Santaguida, but Chilliwack couldn't tie the game, and the Eagles took a commanding 2-0 series lead.

The Birds went 1-for-6 on the power play while Chilliwack was 0-for-6. For the second straight game, the Chiefs finished ahead on the shot clock but behind on the scoreboard as they out shot Surrey 39-29. The series now shifts to Chilliwack for a critical Game 3 on Monday night. The Eagles will have a chance to clinch a series win and advance to the Coastal Conference Final.

Pro4 Sports 3 Stars:
1. Trevor Cameron - Surrey
2. Ryan Donohoe - Chilliwack
3. Devon Toews - Surrey

My 3 Stars:
1. Trevor Cameron - Surrey
2. Ryan Donohoe - Chilliwack
3. Nic Pierog - Surrey

No comments:

Post a Comment