Sunday, January 27, 2013

Klimek Sinks Silverbacks Again

Photo courtesy of
Jordan Klimek scored his second overtime winner against the Salmon Arm Silverbacks this season to lift the Surrey Eagles to a 2-1 comeback win on Sunday afternoon. Klimek also netted the game winner  in Surrey's 3-2 win back on November 9th at the Shaw Centre. After Sunday's victory, the Birds now sit three points up on the Chilliwack Chiefs for first place in the Mainland Division.

Despite the eventual result, the Silverbacks outplayed the Eagles throughout most of the game. Salmon Arm fired 14 shots on Michael Santaguida in the first period while the Birds only mustered three attempts on 'Backs net minder Angus Redmond. Steven Iacobellis put Salmon Arm ahead with less than two minutes to go in the opening frame when he backhanded the rebound of a Brayden Sherbinin point shot past Santaguida, giving the Silverbacks a 1-0 lead after one.

The Eagles, who were already playing with a depleted roster, lost Colton Mackie for the game just over five minutes into the second when he was given a game misconduct after a hit from behind on Mitchell Ferguson on the end boards. Salmon Arm continued to pour on the pressure, but Santaguida was equal to the task, turning aside all 11 shots he faced in the middle frame. His most notable save of the stanza came around the midway mark of the period when he sprawled on his chest along the goal line to prevent Iacobellis from burying a second goal. The Birds managed only nine shots through the first 40 minutes of play.

Surrey captain Brett Mulcahy nearly tied the game early in the third when his wrist shot from the slot hit both goal posts before bouncing back out into play. Looking for an equalizer, Eagles Head Coach Matt Erhart elected to move Devon Toews up to play forward in the third period, and the decision paid off as Toews tied the game at 10:51, hammering a slap shot past Redmond from just inside the Salmon Arm blue line off the rush. The Silverbacks had a great chance to retake the lead right at the end of regulation when Sherbinin attempted a wrap around at the right post, but Santaguida hugged the iron and made the save, forcing overtime.

Klimek ended the game 2:55 into the first extra period in controversial fashion when he poked a rebound from under the glove of Redmond into the Salmon Arm goal. The Silverbacks complained that the goal should not have been allowed, but referee Eric Dasti decided it was a good goal, and the Eagles celebrated their third victory in as many days.

Neither team was able to score on the man advantage as both clubs went 0-for-4 on the power play. Salmon Arm out shot the Birds 38-21 in a losing cause. Surrey's 21 shots tied a season low for shots on goal in a game.

The Eagles were without Brady Shaw, Adam Tambellini, Demico Hannoun, Joel Gaudet, William Clark, Tommy Stipancik, Troy Paterson and Glenn Ferguson. Surrey will return to action on Thursday evening in Prince George against the Spruce Kings.

Official 3 Stars:
1. Michael Santaguida - Surrey
2. Devon Toews - Surrey
3. Steven Iacobellis - Surrey

My 3 Stars:
1. Devon Toews - Surrey
2. Michael Santaguida - Surrey
3. Brayden Sherbinin - Salmon Arm

No comments:

Post a Comment